Monday, January 30, 2012

George RR Martin Readers?

I am on page 70 of book one - Game of Thrones.

Will you help me so I can remember who is who?

There are too many names being dropped, and it keeps me from following what is happening.



Who is who in book one?George RR Martin Readers?
Amanda, that's a tall order--and it is indeed a large cast of characters.



Have you peeked at the end of the book? There Martin organizes the members of the great houses.



For instance, the Stark family of Winterfell consists of Eddard "Ned" Stark, his wife Catelyn (of the Riverrun Tully family), and their children Robb, Sansa, Bran, Arya, and Rickard, plus Ned's bastard son Jon Snow, whois Robb's age.



There's also the Lannister family, led by Lord Tywin. It consists of his offspring Cersei, who's married to King Robert Baratheon, her twin brother Jaime, a knight in the Kingsguard, and their brother Tyrion "the Imp," a dwarf (and my favorite character).



King Robert and Queen Cersei have sons Joffrey and Tommen, and a daughter Myrcella, all as blond as their mother. Robert has two brothers, the dour Stannis and the achingly handsome Renly.



The first time I read it, I mixed up Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish and Varys "the Spider," so keep them straight if you can.



I recently reread the first one, so I've got a pretty good handle on who's who. I check in here several times a day when I'm around, so feel free to ask when questions arise.



BTW, my family had lots of fun casting A-List actors in all the adult roles. Charlize Theron is the perfect Cersei, Kate Winslett a good Catelyn, Emma Thompson her older (and wacked out) sister Lysa... We found it easier to remember when we could put a face to a name.

No comments:

Post a Comment