Monday, January 30, 2012

A Game of Thrones - Everything you expected?

Sky Atlantic's new show based on George R.R. Martin's masterpiece.





I read the first novel but then got sidetracked by Brent Weeks, so I figured I'd recap with the TV series before carrying on with the books.



How has the show held up to the book for everyones expectations? I have to say I was impressed with the first episodes, but I think it's starting to lose its pull a little now.



Though the death of Viserys last Monday was suitably brutal, and I thought they would've toned it down a little but I wasn't disappointed. I enjoyed watching the spineless monsters death as much as I remember enjoying reading it.



Also the snide Cersei absolutely lived up to my interpretation of her in the book. The whole Lannister trio are entertaining, in fact, and very well acted. And Baratheon makes me laugh as he did in the book - the jolly fat king shadowed by his heroic past.



But what could've made it better? Because I can't help but feel that the show has let the book down a little...A Game of Thrones - Everything you expected?
Of course it's a let down from the books. If HBO did a truly faithful adaptation, there would be about 20+ episodes. It has been a very good adaptation, in fact, probably the best adaptation of a novel to the screen that I've seen. But things have been added to help the story flow better, some characters have been changed or combined with other characters. Stories have been simplified.



I'm impressed so far and I don't think it's losing steam, by any stretch. The best parts are still ahead!A Game of Thrones - Everything you expected?
To be honest I'm happy with the show. Maybe the only thing that bothers me Is it ending so quickly, 1 hour per week isn't enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment