Monday, January 23, 2012

Writers/readers: What do you think of this Game of Thrones quote?

“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.”



I thought it was an awesome quote, and wanted to put it up to share with yall :) feel free to share your opinion on the quote, and maybe your favorite book quotes as well!Writers/readers: What do you think of this Game of Thrones quote?
Weird.
Not the quote! The quote's not weird. It's just that my cousin's fiance recommended Game of Thrones to my sister, and I'd never heard of it before then, but now I'm literally seeing it everywhere. There's a particular word to describe it - seeing something everywhere only after learning of it for the first time - but I've gone and forgotten. Sorry for this spiel that really led to nowhere. (:

But the quote reminds me of a quote that Brian Jacques, author of the Redwall series, had in one of his novels, "The Legend of Luke", and it goes like this - "A coward dies a thousand times, but a warrior only dies once."
Actually, now that I compare the two, they're really not all that similar. I guess it just sparked my attention because they both entertained the idea of using lives and deaths in numbers to measure a person. I think that metaphor - if you can call it a metaphor ... I suppose I'm using that term loosely - is a really powerful one, and works equaly well concerning the measure of how much you live as well as the measure of how much you die. I especially like how it kind of subtly probes at the issue of human worth in our expenditures of our own characteristics, or want for them - knowledge, in Game of Thrones; bravery, in Legend of Luke.

Apparently the Game novel is really very good, though I haven't read it yet. My sister flew through it, and was even inspired to name her NaNoWriMo main character after Arya. (How do you pronounce this name, exactly? Every time she lets me read her WriMo work, I say "Arr-ea", but she insists it's "Area".)

My favourite book quotes? Those would include -
"I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." -The Book Thief, by Marcus Zusak
"Just as the survivors say that no one will ever understand the victims, what I must tell you is that you will never understand the executioners.” -The Judges, by Elie Wiesel

EDIT: @??AnkhesenKheper??, AHAHA! "Hmm ... this designer left some Twilight books here. I don't think this house is the one, Mother."
I love that quote, which reminds me that I bought the first book and need to read it.



My favorites are:

A room without books is like a body without a soul.

Cicero (106 BC - 43 BC), (Attributed)



“All books continue in the beyond.”

Italo Calvino



There is no mistaking a real book when one meets it. It’s like falling in love.”

Christopher Morley



You can’t get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.

CS LewisWriters/readers: What do you think of this Game of Thrones quote?
Wonderful play on words. I've never heard this quote before, but I feel for it. It's amazing what "metaphysical-things" we can accomplish when reading books.
:)
Life would be bland without having the ability to put yourself in someone else's shoes.

~~ ??AnkhesenKheper??

Edit: That reminds me... I'm in the process of looking for a house and I've noticed that every time I walk into a model home, I'm looking at the novels the designers leave around the home for decoration. My mother smacks my arm and says, "Look at the house, not the books!"
I think that is an interesting quote. If I read over and over again I think I will understand it clearly. I know of a quote in a Goosebumps tetralogy(4 books in series) "My cousin's such a nerd good thing were family"Writers/readers: What do you think of this Game of Thrones quote?
I like the one about viserys letting daenarys get ****** by horses better.

No comments:

Post a Comment