Monday, January 30, 2012

True villains of Game of Thrones? ?

(Warning - potential spoilers below) By way of reference, I am about halfway through book 5 (you may not want to continue if you haven't gotten through book 3). I have my own ideas, but I am wondering who other people think might fall into the villain category - i.e., there is no redeeming value to these people at all. It seems that many of the people that you would have loved to see get what's coming to them in the first books (certain members of the Lanister clan or a former ward), many have either changed, gotten what was coming to them, or their motivations make them seem less villainous. That being said my vote for villains that have remained true to my first blush opinion are: the Freys and the Boltons. I think you might also be able to throw Qyburn and the slave holding cities in estros into the mix as well. Beyond these guys, you may not like a number of people, but they might not be completely "evil". Any opinions? (Try to note spoilers in responses, thanks)True villains of Game of Thrones? ?
Cersei. From the beginning, I always hated Cersei, and she is definitely one of the bad guys. (I'm nearly finished with AFFC at the moment, so that's where I'm getting my opinions from).
I think I agree with you with the Freys. And, so far, Melisandre. I might be proven wrong there though, I don't know yet.

Edit in response to the below post : You know, I completely forgot about Littlefinger and Varis. I don't know *what* to make of them, but Littlefinger especially has always struck me as the "Evil Puppet-master" type.True villains of Game of Thrones? ?
I'm almost done with Dance with Dragons :)



* Cersei - I agree with the previous poster. I have always hated her, she's spoiled, narcissistic, uncaring of others or the realm, and unredeemable. She's the reason why Joffrey (as much as I HATE him) is psycho.



* Baelish/Littlefinger - He's manipulated half of everything behind the scenes. He's uber sneaky and out for #1.



* Varys/The Spider - Same as Baelish. He claims he's doing everything for the Realm, but I wonder.



* I also agree with you in regards to the Boltons and Freys. I was SO MAD when I read about the Red Wedding. I'm tempted to make my own t-shirt that says "F--- the Freys". *^%26amp;*^*

And the father and son Boltons are both sick b-strds.





I'm on the fence with Melisandre, she's definitely not absolutely good, but I'm waiting to see if she redeems herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment