Thursday, January 26, 2012

Should I read 'Game of Thrones' ?

I have just finished watching the HBO adaptation of 'Game of Thrones' and enjoyed it immensely.



I thought I would read the books. My question is:



Should I start back at the beginning and read the first one, even though it will cover basically all the same stuff that I have just watched or should I jump straight in at book 2?



I guess the question is really how close is the HBO series to the first book and does it cover all of the important plot/the whole book or would I miss out on stuff if I jumped straight to the second volume?



Thoughts please..Should I read 'Game of Thrones' ?
I've seen the show and I'm currently reading the 1st book of the series ("Game of Thrones").

The series is really close to the book. That's a fact. Even some lines of the book are exactly the same in the show. It's unlike any other adaptation I've seen on TV or cinema. Actually one (from what I'm aware of) episode of the show was written by the author of the book series himself. I think episode 8.

The plot remains the same. Nothing important changes, but you get so much more information, mostly about the past and about each character's thoughts. A difference between the books and the show is the age of the characters. For example in the book Jon and Rob are 14, Bran 7, Rickon 3, Arya 8 (or 9), Daenerys 13 (and becomes 14 later on)...

So, it's up to you. If you start from the 2nd I guess you'll be able to follow, but if you start from the 1st one you'll get much more information and you have a better view of each character.Should I read 'Game of Thrones' ?
Not close. I know this because my sister has read the Stackhouse Chronicles, a series HBO uses as an inspiration for their series True Blood. True Blood has all the same characters and most of the same plots, but my sister has mentioned, more than once, that Tara--one of the characters--is almost never seen. She appears in the book maybe a few times, but has no real story of her own. Following that path of logic, HBO's adaptation of Game of Thrones cannot be very accurate either.Should I read 'Game of Thrones' ?
I read the book several years ago and haven't seen the HBO series. But reviews I've read recently by people in your position who picked up the book said that the book adds so much more, the television series pales in comparison. The book adds far more depth to the story, and will set you up better for reading the rest of the series.
I have not read it but my internet friends who have watched and read say it is about as close as can be.

Very much like the book.
  • game of thrones book
  • renova
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment