Wednesday, February 15, 2012

What can I do with my dell inspiron 5150 notebook?

I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 notebook with a dead mobo. Instead of being bummed about it, I'm looking at it as an opportunity to make a cheap-ish mod. I was wondering if I can use any mobo to hook the lcd up to, maybe making my own notebook case to hold the guts. I'm not looking to make it into a gaming computer, just a basic linux based machine to serve my needs. I think it would be cool to mod it into something unique.What can I do with my dell inspiron 5150 notebook?its a dell I Have a dell also the worst purchase I ever made!



Rejoice in the death of this ungodly machine Bury it deep in your back garden!



:P

seriously do you really think resurrecting any part of this junk will do you any good? sadly I fear not you'll only get another headacheWhat can I do with my dell inspiron 5150 notebook?Most laptop LCDs are specifically designed with a matching motherboard model. In the case of Dell Inspirons, there are usually only a few motherboards that will work (and maybe matching Latitude board from the business line). You won't be able to attach it to just anything. From a quick look, it looks like it's compatible with the Inspiron 5100, 5150, and 5160, but you'll want to make sure before buying anything. Since it's a Pentium 4 processor, it'd still be pretty usable for modern stuff. It might be worth looking into getting a new motherboard from eBay or the like, but be sure to compare prices to a whole different 5150 or similar laptop. For older equipment, sometimes replacement is about the same price as the major parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment